Wednesday, December 7, 2011

'Tis the Season for Holiday Baking

        In my state of voluntary denial (regarding the enormous life changes looming in the background), I have been trying to get in the mood for this holiday season. So I have decided to bake until I can bake no more (and make some christmas ornaments). Although, I still don't quite know who's going to be eating all this stuff I'm making quite an abundant assortment. One strategy I have engaged is to make things that I cannot eat. In fact, I thoroughly contaminated my kitchen with peanut butter cookie dough this morning! I made a batch of my husband's very favorite Peanut butter kisses. I had to write a new recipe for this however, because despite the plethora of available recipes online, I just wasn't satisfied with anything I could find. Even mom's trusty peanut butter cookie recipe wasn't doing it for me. Sorry Mom! Though I did take a few cues from it, the cinnamon being the main one. Here it is the new and improved, and higher-fiber version:

Holiday Peanut Butter Kisses

In a small bowl goes:
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. All Purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
- set this aside

In another small bowl:
unwrap about 60 Hershey's kisses( I just do the whole bag and leave the rest for snacking).

In mixer or mixing bowl:
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. peanut butter (I used chunky)
- cream together until well blended
Then add in:
 1 cup of light brown sugar and 2 tsp. vanilla, and stir to combine.
Then add in 2 eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Whip on medium-high speed until fluffy.
-Now, add the dry ingredients slowly, about 1/2c. or so at a time and remember to scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary.

* Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. For the best looking cookies roll 1-1 1/2 inch balls of dough and place on a lightly grease cookie sheet. Bake until the bottoms are golden brown and cookies look firm and matte (about 10 minutes).
Once you pull the cookies out of the oven, press a kiss into the center of each cookie. The kisses will melt into the cookie, once they are cooled and the kisses harden up again you can store for future enjoyment!


mmm....they sure look good, I wish I could taste them...

Here are the ornaments I've managed to finish so far. They're pretty cute, and it keep my hands busy. There's something slightly therapeutic about punching needles into beads and sequins and styrofoam balls...and I now hate hot glue...with a passion.


We also made Coconut Cranberry Macaroons as well, recipe courtesy Ina Garten from food network.com. Though we skipped out on the orange zest (didn't think grapefruit would taste very good). They are really crunchy, toasty and yummy! Dare I dip a few in chocolate?

Such a good helper!

         
Time to clean up the kitchen...  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment